Tuesday, June 28, 2005

To the Penny

I have a confession to make that will cause some people to cringe. Up until about 2 1/2 years ago, I never really balanced my checkbook. I was horrible when I was an undergrad. I bounced so many checks, you would have thought that my checkbook was made of rubber. I ended up giving more money to my bank than I gave to some of my bill collectors during those years.

Once I was supposed to be "grown up" (after undergrad), I got a little better about things. I actually opened the statements I received from the Bank, and tried to pay more attention to what the balance was supposed to be. I still had some slip ups, but they were much more under control than they once had been, and it wasn't costing me as much.

Three Christmases ago, however, I made a huge mistake. A mistake that ended up costing me about $300.

Since then, it has become an obsession of mine to balance my checkbook. I get online at least once or twice a week to mark off what has gone through, and see what is still pending. As of this past January, with a couple of small exceptions, I had been to the penny with my account for two years. I just balanced my checkbook a few moments ago, and the feeling that comes from knowing exactly how much money I have is a rush for me now.

Borrowing an example from another blog, I will be adding a poll to the sidebar of this site before the day is out:

How many people out there balance their checkbooks regularly?

(please place your vote on my newly added Checkbook Mini Poll :)...see below and to the right)

7 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds just like me! I used to keep track of it in my head to have a slight idea of how much I had to spend after payday. But was such a habit that I would figure bank overdraft charges into my regular bills every month! I still don't balance my checkbook... I just discovered debit cards, and with the push of a button I know how much money I have at anytime of the day.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

wow...you figured in overdraft charges...that is bad.

the thing about finding out that balance is that sometimes things arent calculated in. there is still a risk of not knowing how much you have.

i would love to just be independantly rich someday, that way i just wont have to worry about it :). I can have an accountant balance it all for me.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I use online banking and a budget in an excel spreadsheet. Everything gets updated to the penny 2x a month, which is also when I pay bills. That way, I can pay what I need to pay, keep track of my expenses, and make sure everything checks out.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

bravo...that is great rachel.

I usually sit down to pay bills twice a month as well. I pretty much know when everything is due.

However, I have gotten a little stressed lately because I have begun paying the bills from my shoulder injury, and those are all due at random times, and it is kind of throwing me off.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

There is a great feeling when you balance to the penny. I've always done it. I think it's because I had a bookkeeper for a Mom and an ex-Navy perfectionist for a Father. :)

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

It is wonderful...I was actually reliving the moment a few minutes ago because i am about to go by the bank and make a deposit lol.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger A.J. said...

you know i'm the same way. if my checkbook is a penny off it drives me insane until i figured out why i'm getting a different balance. i'd say i balance it nearly every night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home