Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Salesmen want to make a buck

Okay, here is the deal. When I want to learn something about something, I typically go instantly to the web to learn what I can about a topic to be more knowledgeable (taking everything with a grain of salt of course...there are a lot of crazies on the web). That is my nature, it is what I do...I am obsessive like that :). If I don't find out enough about the topic online, I turn to books, and then I typically lean on the knowledge of other people that know something about the topic as well.

I had a free "Training Analysis" done last night. Granted, after further analysis, I do feel like part of what the trainer told me (during the hour and a half of talking) was informative, but I had to remind myself that this guy is a salesman that works on commission. His whole driving force behind talking to me was 1. trying to get me to buy a training package from him (that cost an arm and a leg btw) and 2. try to sell me APEX supplements.

I left that session feeling very depleted...like everything that I had read and learned, and all that I had been doing was wrong to accomplish my goals. After I have had some time to think about it though, I can really look back and see that that was what his goal is by meeting with me. Since he more than likely works off of commission, it is his goal to make the person think that what they are doing is all wrong...and the truth is, though I can probably change a few things to accomplish some goals quicker, just the fact that I am dedicated to a healthy lifestyle, and do the things that I do, puts me on the road to success no matter how long it takes me. I have passed my one year anniversary. I plan on being active as long as I can. I dont need a professional trainer telling me that what I am doing is all wrong, and forget that so much of what I am doing is right.

There are two morals to this story:

One, if the person that is talking to you is going to earn money from what they are telling you, make sure you sift through what they tell you and take only what is useful from the conversation.

Two, if you want to be more healthy, just get out there and exercise...just start...sit down and decide that you are going to do it and just do it (I stole that from nike :)). However, do it consistently and systematically...develop a plan/routine for each week. That way, if you do decide that you are not accomplishing what you want to accomplish and you decide things need to be changed around in the future, you can make those changes within your routine instead of starting from scratch and developing a routine. Just because I may change a couple of things based on this assessment, does not mean that I have not accomplished anything in the past year. Furthermore, my routine is already in place...I have always been moving in the right direction by doing what I do.

4 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

That sucks about that quack trainer. I think there are a lot of trainers who really can help you work out more effectively and nutritionists who can help you eat healthier, but you're right, it's pretty simple. Exercise and eat right. No supplements needed. Good for you for realizing that guy was an idiot.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

I felt like the guy knew a lot of stuff. However, as he was telling me everything, I also knew that I needed to take time to process it all before I reacted to anything he told me. The fact that it was free was good.

I also think outside of the box enough to know that he was trying to sell himself to me.

Even if my budget were capable of handling getting a trainer, I probably would not. I, unlike a lot of people, would rather simply do it all by myself. I am better motivated to accomplish those types of goals when I am by myself than when I have someone trying to push me.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I've learned a ton on my own. I've always been curious to have a session with a qualified trainer though. I've been amazed how much I've learned through reading magazines. They've been great!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

That's a big reason why I left the insurance industry to return to technology. I'm not good at selling people things that (A) they don't need or (B) they can't afford

 

Post a Comment

<< Home