Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Reality TV has Jumped the Shark

For those who are not familiar with the phrase "jumped the shark", it is that defining moment when a show starts to go downhill. It started with the Fonz from Happy Days actually jumped a shark while skiing on water skis. It was at that point that Happy Days started its downward spiral to cancellation.

That said, as I listened to the radio recap of the bachelor, and the guy crying when he gave his sappy speech to the girl that he gave a "promise" ring to in the finale of that show (another problem that I have...promise rings...either you get the girl an engagement ring, or maybe even a ring to mark a special occasion...the concept of a "promise" ring makes no sense..."i am giving you this ring to let you know that I will possibly be giving you another ring at another point in the future...and I will ask you to marry me...maybe"), I realized for the hundredth time that I am so, so, so over reality TV. They should have a "Six months later" episode of the Bachelor as the finale. The likelihood of that relationship lasting is minimal at best.

Reality TV is not reality anyway. What is shown in the final product allows the producers to portray whatever they want to portray when the show actually airs.

There are a few possible exceptions to the rule (I have friends that love Survivor, the Amazing Race and the Apprentice, and I want them to be happy :)), but as a whole, it would not bother me at all if all Reality TV was gone for good. Give me a good episode of CSI or Alias any day.

11 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

As much as I like some Reality TV, shows like the Bachelor and Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?, and Marry my Dad or other such nonsense are not shows I care to waste time watching. There is some good to Reality....(read my blog :), but the bad press some of it gets at times is well deserved

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Reality TV is like junk food. I really enjoy shows like Law & Order. I even have an idea for my own tv drama focusing on ethical/political aspects of biomedical research from the graduate student's point of view.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

you could probably write and star in that show :). I am sure there are tons of ethical and political delimas that you see first hand in your research. I have a friend that has to deal with that at Vanderbilt in Nashville.

i like all of the law and orders too...anything with drama that must be figured out within the alloted hour...even better on DVD because I can do it in 45 minutes (seasons on dvd are such the time saver).

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger bcl said...

Yeah, I don't like "reality" TV either...I'll watch an occasional Amazing Race or Survivor, but I don't care much for it. Give me a good episode of ALIAS, 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, or pretty much any Disney Channel show :)...Especially anything Hilary Duff :)...She's awesome!-See my next blog entry!

 
At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget LOST! That my fav. I watch a lot of Reality TV because there is nothing else on. TV has really went down hill. I miss Friends. I do have a secert...I love Real World on MTV. Can we still be friends?

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

i missed Lost at the beginning, but my mom loves it. i will rent it when it comes out on DVD.

yes we can still be friends :). the Real world was reality tv before reality tv became what it is...so i have a little more room to let that one slide. my problem is shows like "my big fat fiance"...all the bandwagon shows that attempted to jump on the reality train...that is why i dont have as big a problem with survivor and the like.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger erica said...

oh come on,
i agree that Reality TV is junk.. but shows like General Hospital on the other hand... lol
gotta love the soaps

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

whatever...soaps fall under the junk food heading too...if that. they are almost worse than reality tv :)...'Friends' on the other hand...that is a different story ;)...if i am going to watch junk food tv as opposed to a good healthy meal of CSI, i would have to watch an episode of 'Friends'...another one of my loves Courtney Cox :).

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Randomly going through blogs...yours was the first of a few dozen that looked interesting.

Have you ever seen this show "Spy" on PBS? It's a "reality" show, but it's pretty well done -- it's about a group of people training to be spies. I can't imagine they'll actually become spies when it's over, but nevertheless...

If you like Alias, you might really dig this show.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Thanks...I will definitely look into it.

I dig CIA stuff. If I could live another life, I would look into criminology or the CIA as a potential path.

I have other things that I feel led to do with my life, and unfortunately those things arent really associated.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

btw...I just read your profile. i have a friend coming to Princeton in the fall as a freshman. She will be running track and cross country. Maybe yall can exchange emails before she comes up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home