Friday, May 13, 2005

OCD...A blessing or a curse?

As I was sitting down yesterday to make a list of potential topics for today's blog entry, the thought occurred to me "I wonder how many people actually make a list of possible blog topics to write 24 hours in advance..." :).

A very overview/broad definition of the disorder is:
Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder - Excessive concern for rules, efficiency and order, coupled with an insistence that all do things their way.
A person with obsessive-compulsive disorder have either obsessions, or compulsions, or both. The obsessions and/or compulsions are strong enough to cause significant distress in their employment, schoolwork, or personal and social relationships.
http://www.psychnet-uk.com

There is much more to OCD than the brief definition above...and though I probably do not have a full blown case of it, I do have tendencies that lean towards the disorder.

I go through phases with my obsessions. For instance, right now in my life, I love writing in this stinkin' weblog. I also love reading, talking and learning more about healthy living. I cant wait to go to Florida next month, so if my mind goes there, I spend about thirty minutes picturing how it will be. Next week, I am getting a Bike...that takes brain time too.

I also have an obsessive need to plan. It is 10:30 in the morning, and a few minutes ago I actually made a call to make sure I knew where a certain Subway was in Murfreesboro, TN, so I could stop and eat supper on my way to a wedding tonight. Eating is a huge hang up for me because I always want to eat healthy, and when I go home for the weekend my family doesnt always have healthy stuff to snack on. I was actually thinking about the rest of my meals this weekend and planning them out earlier this morning.

Anytime there is something "new" in my life, I get on the web and start reading about it to learn what I can and be knowledgeable about the topic.

The only downside I see in my case is the need that I have for perfectionism. I dont know if this is true for all, but there is a drive in me to be perfect in the areas of obsession that I have. If I cannot be perfect, I have a tendency to blow off whatever it is that I was obsessing about.

Through an exchange with a fellow blogger yesterday, I came to the conclusion that a mild case of OCD can be a good thing because organization is a good thing. With us around, the world is a much better place. Take pride in your OCD!!

4 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

You can now create a subgroup to the RCC, and have an OCD Support Group right here on your blog!

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about blog entries in advance. :)

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev, when I was reading your blog tonight I felt like I was inside your brain jumping from cell to cell. Poor fellow, you have way to much time to think! I think you need to get involved in a sport were you can't think and let your poor wittle mind take a nap! :)

Oh, and I am NOT signning my name - I am not getting in trouble for taking up for your wittle brain. Now you are left to think, think, think, about who wrote this message.

Awww, my plan is working!!!!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

LOL...thanks!! and yes, your plan is working...i have spent a little brain time this morning looking over the clues...trying to "csi" it out. (yes "csi" can be used as a verb lol)

but being the controler of this blog, I always have the ability, of course, to threaten to delete your comments until you reveal yourself :)...but also being as obsessed with blogging as I currently am, the more comments the better...so that leaves me in somewhat of a delima.

bring your mysterious comments on!!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

OCD is definitely a blessing. Embrace it, love it, make it work for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home