Wednesday, May 11, 2005

One Year Later

May 11th marks a special day for me. It was one year ago that I first stepped back into a pool and decided that I was going to lose weight again. Six or seven years ago I lost 70 pounds...but after four years of graduate work, I had gained back about 55 or 60 pounds of that.

Now a year later, I have far surpassed where I was before coming to Louisville. Furthermore, this time I can tell my healthy lifestyle change is around to stay.

I want to encourage those out there that feel as though they 1. "cant do it" or that 2. eating right is "impossible" or that 3. they are too busy...None of those excuses are viable excuses.

1. Anyone can do anything they set their minds to...all it takes is to start. Start slow, 30-45 minutes of cardio 3 or 4 days a week...but continue to add challenges to your body as it becomes easier. Before the summer was over last year, I went from swimming 1/2 mile a day to 2 miles a day...6 days a week. If it gets boring, switch it up. I started rollerblading some last summer too...and now I use the treadmill, track and lift weights.

2. Eating right is a mind thing. If I feel like I am going through a period when I will be tempted more, I dont keep anything in my house that will tempt me (peanut butter, though good in moderation, is a weakness of mine. i could eat half a jar in a day if i dont watch myself :) ). Plus, you allow for one "splurge" meal a week. This does not mean order a whole large Papa John's pizza and sit on the couch and eat every crumb. You can have pizza, but order a medium and share it with someone...have them take the leftovers home with them instead of keeping them at your house. Also, always remember if you "fall off the wagon", tomorrow is a new day. start fresh...but dont wait until Monday of the next week.

3. Busy-ness is the least viable excuse of them all. If you knew now, that you could spend 30-45 minutes 4 days a week and avoid a heart attack in 10 years, would you do it? Let me tell you a little about being busy...

Granted I am single, but that does not mean I dont have commitments. I work 40 hours a week, I go to church about 3 or 4 times a week, I am in charge of a local college ministry that meets one night a week (not to mention special events), I work with a college group at my church that has one large event a month as well as several small events scattered throughout, I am working on my masters degree taking classes on nights and weekends, I play djembe with our Singles band and I have played with another band for one concert (i hope to continue with them) that required several practice sessions, I play djembe at another church on Sunday nights, I have met with people one-on-one for mentoring and discipleship, and I do have a family and somewhat of a social life :).

...it is within this schedule that my typical week is to swim six mornings a week, lift three evenings a week, and find some random times to go to the treadmill or track.

Up to this point, most of what I have talked about is directed to the individual, but truly, I give the credit for my accomplishments to God and my relationship with Jesus for this past year's success. Without God, there is no way that I would have changed from the night owl that I was to the disciplined person that gets up at 5:00 a.m. It is my relationship with my Lord that gives me the ability to accomplish all that I do in my life, and He is where I lean to find the strength that it requires.

10 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

I'm so proud of you kevin!!! For those who may only know Kevin from the blogworld....he truly has done an amazing thing this past year. If Dr. Atkins, South Beach, Curves, or LA Weight Loss get wind of this "free" way to lose weight, they'll be after him. :)

You are the best, kev!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Way to go! I totally agree. I am extremely busy as a graduate student. I also volunteer for the House Rabbit Society. But my active life helps give me energy and keep me recharged. It allows me to be busy. No excuses.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

AWWWWWE...thanks rose...you're the best too. thanks for being my greatest cheerleader.

i should say you are busy rachel...from the sounds of things in your world, you have my schedule beat and then some. i agree...staying busy does keep the energy level up.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger bcl said...

Hey Kev.
Congrats! :)...I must confess, I am one of those that makes every excuse possible NOT to exercise...but then I wonder why my jeans keep getting tighter :)...but like you said, tomorrow's a new day ;).

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Tomorrow is a new day...you just have to set your mind to it. "Whatever it takes!!"...that is a saying that has recently started repeating itself over and over in my brain.

even though I have accomplished a lot, i still havent reached all my goals...and i go to florida in a little over a month :).

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger bcl said...

I'll be in Florida in 2 weeks :)...but that's also home to me. lol...Where in FL?

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

I am actually going to be in Lakeland. one of my best friends, Jules, lives down there. I cannot wait to hang on the beach and by the pool and just read...no pressures no deadlines.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger bcl said...

Cool, that's about 3 hours north of Naples. Yeah, no pressures and deadlines mixed with the beach makes a GREAT vacation...Lucky for me, I get a vacation and home at the same time ;)!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

I didnt used to like the beach...i may not even now (i will let you know). but having the idea of going this summer has gotten me very excited about it...it may be more of the fact that i am actually going to get a vacation (my first in like six years) than anything else.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev, this is your belly talking...you want a donut and some pizza....grrrr...yum...so sweet and tasty!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home