Friday, May 06, 2005

The Kentucky Derby

Hello all...most of what I have posted to this point has been the ramblings of a professional student...This entry is a little glimpse into who kevin really is...if there are those out there who would like to know more about kevin :).

The Kentucky Derby has meant different things to me at different times in my life...really just two different things at two times in my life...

When I was growing up in TN., every year around this time my family, in particular my grandfather (C.T...I actually referred to him by his name instead of some term of endearment...I think that started because I was a grandmother's boy...a.k.a. Nanny's boy...and that is what she called him), was getting excited about the upcoming derby. C.T. loved sporting events. That is probably partly why I love sports as much as I do today...any kind of sports really. We actually all went over to their house and picked the names of the horses out of a bowl, and sat down to watch all of the hype leading up to the two minutes of actual racing where we would cheer our horses on. It is really a very wonderful childhood memory that I have.

Now, it is quite different lol. I live in Louisville (for those who do not know, it is where the Kentucky derby is ran). Louisville is the capital of large conferences, as well as the home of the derby...so every year/all year, people from around the United States come to Louisville for one reason or another. Derby time is no different...in fact it is probably the worst of them all. They usually project a million or more people to be downtown during "Thunder over Louisville" (the largest fireworks display in the country...and it happens two weeks before the derby)...then there is the weeks worth of events that start the Saturday before the derby...

Long story short, I really dont care about the derby as I once did. It is somewhat of an annoyance more than anything during this phase of my life. Businesses shut down. Schools are out. Traffic is worse. Dont get me wrong...I enjoy the history of it all, and I actually do try to watch it every year (this year will be on a big screen in the house where I am house sitting). But I have not bet on the race ever, and dont plan to...I just look forward to this saturday being over...not to mention, I take my final and turn in my last paper for my class, and my semester is over this saturday too :).

Hope this doesnt offend those out there that truly love the derby.

10 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cant you find a good derby party to go to? thats really bad to live in the ville and hate the derby

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

its not that i necessarily "hate" the derby. actually i am really kind of indifferent about the whole thing. its just the traffic and stuff that bugs me.

i have actually worked during every derby the five years i have lived here...and saw the races on tv at work. i used to be a server at applebees, and one year i was at a restaurant called Bahama Breeze.

This will be the first derby that i havent worked...and i am actually throwing a little party at the house that i am house sitting lol.

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard of Bahama Breeze... hahahaha

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

funny dear!!

shouldnt you be studying or something? LOL

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

From a native Louisvillian...Derby is ok...just not the "dazzle" it has from the outside looking in. I'll shamelessly plug my blog (click on my name to get there), where I've posted a top five list about the Derby.

kev, to give you more exposure, I have your blog as a Link on my blog...so hopefully that's cool. :)

rose

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

As a horse lover, I've always been against horse racing b/c it's all about the money. For the few great horses that make it, there are thousands that have to be destroyed from being litterally run into the ground before their bones are allowed to mature. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

rose,

i will put a link to your blog on mine at some point this week.

rachel,

i agree with you...i love horses too. i dont really know the ins and outs to the racing world...but i know that the horses always look like they never eat anything.

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HATE THE DERBY, I admit it. I am not a closet Derby hater!!!!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Being a derby hater is not necessarily a bad thing...although hate is a pretty strong word :).

i am more of a tolerater than a hater.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

The derby/thunder does bring some freaks out. that is why i have never even thought about going to the infield...those party days have long been over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home