Friday, August 26, 2005

Doctor wrong or right?

I heard about this on my way into work this morning...so I am going to throw this out here and get your opinions...

An angry woman in New Hampshire has filed a complaint because her doctor told her she was obese.

I listened to many callers call in on both sides of the issue. Apparently this doctor's patient has been seeing him a while (they didnt say how long), and has dealt with many weight related effects (i.e. diabetes, acid reflux, hypertention). When she was not doing anything about getting healthier he took a more direct approach and just laid all the facts out there bluntly to get her attention. She did not tell him that she was offended at the time, but later filed a complaint, and he sent a formal apology.

I feel like sometimes people need a shot of reality about their situation. Maybe he could have potentially chosen his words differently, but I feel as though the woman was at the doctor to seek medical advice, and was continually refusing to put into practice the advice she was paying for. I have heard counselors say that one of the most frustrating thing is when people continually seek their counsel, yet never listen and use the experienced counsel that they offer.

I was once in her shoes...my doctor in Tennessee told me I was obese...and I needed to lose weight for my health. I was dealing with diabetes, and headed down a similar rode. My situation was amplified because of the heart defects that I was born with. It took a lot of blatant laying out of the facts to make me wake up my third year of college...I finally decided to do what the doctor had been telling me I needed to do. And you know what...my health got better. I was able to stop taking medication for my diabetes and I felt better.

I understand about doctors with poor bedside manner...I have had those in the past as well. But it seems as though this doctor had tried everything else to get her attention, and she wasnt listening to him...so the direct approach that he used was somewhat of a last resort. If they shared how long she had been seeing him, I think that could effect my opinions on the matter.

I dont know...share your thoughts...was the doctor wrong to tell a patient that she was obese in the direct approach that he used?

8 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Now that I think about it, only one of my doctors has ever said anything to me about being overweight. Maybe it is because I have been blessed in not having any weight related health problems - not that I have always been the picture of health (blood levels sorta high, fatigue, etc), but I've never had anything more serious than a sinus infection, really.

It was so funny when my doctor finally said something, too. He had been talking to me and left to go get some samples for me and then came right back in (sans sample) because he just had to say this. And he was so nervous and careful not to offend, and I am thinking "what, does he think I am going to be shocked...like he is telling me something I don't already know?" Maybe he had an experience like this doctor and was a apprehensive for that reason?

Or maybe he has just seen that most people want to deal with the symptoms and not the disease..."just give me a pill for my high cholesterol or depression or aching knees"...and didn't want to tell me something he thought I didn't want to hear.

I'd like to say that my kind doctor's admonition was the kick in the pants that set me on my way, but it wasn't. I knew all the facts, the reasons, and the consequences of remaining as I was, but I also knew that until the Lord changed my heart, any attempt I made to change would be in vain. Faithful God that He is, He did change my heart (about a year later) and has given me much victory since. I am so thankful!

Thanks for this post and for sharing your heart and testimony.

--tina

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tina said...

whew...I didn't realize I'd written so much...sorry!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

not a problem Tina...the comment field is deceiving. It is hard to tell how much you write sometimes, and I am a talker...I have left some pretty lengthy comments as well.

I am glad to hear that you have found victory. I have had two phases in my life where I have lost a ton of weight. I lost about 70 pounds 6 or 7 years ago...and I put a bunch back on when I started my masters program...this past year I have lost 65. I definitely give credit to God for all of it. I was very disciplined this past year...more than I have been at any time in my life. I was able to get up every morning at 5:00 a.m....and being the night owl that I am, it was a huge transition for me.

Thanks for your encouraging thoughts, and you can feel free to leave any length of comments on my blog :).

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

I think a doctor has to speak the truth, based on his hypocratic oath. It could have been in the way he said it, but instead of filing a complaint, she should have talked to the doctor about how he could help her. Not a magic pill, but just some pointers on losing weight the right way. Part of the problems people face are the mass of fad diets out there. There is no secret formula...just healthy eating and exercise.

Maybe doctors need to spend more time using nutritionalists and trainers to help people get over that obstacle.

I agree with Tina, like the doctor is going to tell her something she doesn't already know. :)

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

worse case...I would have recommended her going to another doctor.

the problem that I had with the cardiologist with the poor bedside manor is that he was used to dealing with older people's heart problems...not 20 year olds. I was young for his typical patients. what was even funnier is that I would hear him laughing and cutting up with his other patients in the other examining rooms and then he would come into my room and barely talk to me...like he didnt know how. I solved that problem by getting another cardiologist.

if she really had a problem with it...go somewhere else.

i like your idea of doctors having nutrionalists and trainers...maybe you can submit that idea to someone that has power.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

The doctor wasn't wrong in telling her she was obese. However, maybe he needs work on his bedside manner. I just hope there's no malpractice suit. He's just trying to do his job. Unfortunately, we don't know the woman's weight, BMI, or waist circumference so it's hard to know for sure if she's actually obese (BMI over 30).

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger bcl said...

Wow, you really need to update Kev :)! Just kiddin...E-mail me sometime!

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger elasraa said...

شركة تنظيف مخازن بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالاحساء

 

Post a Comment

<< Home