Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Now that's what I call some high quality h2o!

You have heard it before, and now you are about to hear it again. It will be one of my many battle cries until the day I die..."you need to drink more water!!!"

For those interested in losing weight, or even simply keeping a healthy lifestyle, one of the key ingredients to the proverbial pie is drinking h2o.

There are many benefits to drinking water...here are several that I have found from various sources and some of which from my own personal experience...

Water:
  1. Keeps you hydrated
  2. Helps you lose weight (lessens water retention)
  3. Keeps your skin looking younger
  4. Stimulates muscle growth
  5. Stronger teeth and bones
  6. Maintains a healthy digestive and urinary tract
  7. Reduces headaches
  8. Increases energy
  9. Speeds up metabolism (especially if cold)
  10. Increases mental and physical performance
  11. Removes toxins from your body
  12. Decreases the risk of some cancers
  13. Eases joint pain
  14. Reduces high cholesterol
  15. Reduces blood pressure
I am not quite sure how many of these have been scientifically proven, but you get the idea...there are several benefits to drinking water.

Experts used to say 8 glasses a day, but in reality the amount (just like anything else) varies by age, weight, size, how much physical activity, etc...However, if you are not drinking any at all, 8 glasses is a good starting place.

There are dangers to drinking too much water, but on the average I would say that as unhealthy as Americans are, the percentage of people that approach the "too much" range is probably quite low.

12 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

As someone who struggled with drinking enough water, I can testify that increasing it at all helps tremendously! My problem was the taste, but thanks to the new "On the Go" flavor packets by Crystal Light, I can down a ton more water. I haven't calculated how much I drink, but I know the 2 weeks my Dad was in the hospital I didn't drink as much and I could tell a marked difference in how I felt. Not only that, but I actually crave water, which has never happened before.

If I lose a bunch of weight, I'm going to strike a deal with Crystal Light, like Jared Fogle did with Subway! :)

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I love water. I always keep a full water bottle with me. I also love tea. This helps a lot. When I go for long workouts outside, I always carry a fuel belt or stick an extra water bottle on the bike. It's important to teach your body how to take in fluids during a hard work out.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

rose,
i crave it now too...so many times in a day i actually pick up my empty bottle to take another drink before i can fill it up again.

and it does make a huge difference in how i feel.

if you strike that deal i want to play an extra in the commercials.

btw...one of the girls i work with handed me what i thought was one of those things the other day...it actually turned my water into crystal light though...i was actually a little disapointed. is that what you have been talking about, or does the "on the go" thing just add flavor to your water as it stays water.

rachel,
i have these 1 1/2 liter evian bottles that goes with me as if it were an extension to my arm. it is so funny because i always get the "thats a big bottle of water" comments whenever i go anywhere.

what do you mean "teach your body to take in fluids during a hard workout"? i have drank fluids all of my life, even more in the past year, and not once did my body say "no, no fluids for me!". i would say that i even drink about 2-3 liters when i am running and/or lifting.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

Well, Crystal Light is merely flavored water. So, to answer your question, it "turns" it into Crystal Light, but it stays water. The Wal-Mart brand is cheaper, comes in more flavors, and is sugar-free, sodium-free. The CL has about 5 calories, I think. But, if it get my water intake down, I'll do it.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

i prefer clear water with a hint of added flavoring, that taste more like water than the actual flavor.

dasani's rasberry flavored water is my favorite right now, but there are other good ones out there.

i am not a big koolaid/crystal light fan...i think it is because my mom made me drink so much of it when i was a kid.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

My stomach really cramps up if I drink too much while running. Propel is much more well tolerated than straight water. Your digestive system slows down when you work out so the blood can fuel your muscles, not your gut. That's why it's hard to eat and run. If you're going the distance, you learn what works for you.

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love normal water.. thats like all i drink.. well.. Kool-aid too
- erica

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Rachel,
Thanks, i did not know that. i have had a few 5 mile runs, but that the the farthest I have gone to date. i do like propel though...i will def remember that in the future.

erica,
i know...you koolaid freak :)...btw, i hope you have a good time in Rome. i want to hear all about it when you get back.

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im a freak???? awwwwww...
lol, yea, i guess its pretty bad if i had my mom bring me some in austria hahaha... and its even sugar free- great for my diet. I am sad as my stay is coming to a close but i cant wait to see you- i have learned so much that i cant wait to tell you about buddyy

love- erica

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

i cant wait to see you either...i miss you dear...I am all about hearing the stories of your travels in person instead of through email or weblog.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's another one...Drinking lots of water makes your breath smell better!

So if you would like to have one nice long kiss...do everyone a favor and grab some nice ice water!!!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Wow, that benefit is one that I was unaware of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home