Friday, May 27, 2005

T.G.I.F. OR "Its the Freakin' Weekend Baby, and Im ready to have me some fun..."

(A-Dog, that subtitle is for you bro)

Okay, I have been a little on the more controversial/deep thought end of the spectrum the last couple of days...I considered not even writing a post today (I am pretty busy at work for a change), but I am so obsessive about writing at least one a day during the week, and it is about to be a three day weekend so I wont have access again until next Tuesday...I felt that I wanted to write something.

Before I stepped into the "real world" job that I have now, I spent fourteen years working in the restaurant business. Nearly 10 of those years were with Applebees, and there were a few pizza joints involved (about 3 years as a manager of a Sbarro's pizza place), and I spent a six month stint at a restaurant called Bahama Breeze (Great place...love the food and the atmosphere...if you live near one I highly recommend it).

During that long restaurant experience, I never really understood the whole concept of T.G.I.F. (Thank God It's Friday). From my standpoint at the time, Fridays were horrible. Fridays were essentially the beginning of the proverbial work week for a restauranteur and his/her employees (actually it began on Thursdays at Bahama Breeze because it was singles night and the patio was always packed...the patio was typically where I worked on Thursdays). It was the weekend when the largest percentage of the money was made, and when the wait at the door is, as I am sure you know, the longest (sometimes there was a two hour wait at Bahama Breeze...how crazy, I would never wait two hours to eat anywhere).

I have been at my current job for almost a year, and I spent one semester at Humana insurance company a few semesters back. Since I have been in the "real world" (40 hours, m-f, paid holidays, vacation time, health benefits) environment, T.G.I.F. has really taken on a considerably new meaning for me. I so look forward to Fridays now. I cant wait for quitting time before the weekend, especially when our business is closed such days as memorial day, and I get a "free" three day weekend. I typically can get stuff accomplished on Saturdays and Sundays (when I am not taking classes or out of town). It really can be a very refreshing couple of days.

For those out there that have made that transition into t

6 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger Erin Nicole said...

*sitting at work* i am so ready to get outta here!!

it's such a pretty day outside and all i get to do is sit and stare at computer/mice/cells/etc.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

It's hard to work when everyone else takes off early. Hasta la vista, baby! I deserve a little break!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

Well, Friday's are great!! Especially before a 3-day weekend. Now that I'm at a job I love, Friday's are great for the break, but I don't look forward to them as much as I used to. Don't get me wrong, I'm ready to go, but blessed to love my job!

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the title, i reallly appreciated that. i actually downloaded that song to my ipod, lol.

 
At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Kev you know you have been in school way to long when you refer to your job as working one semester ("I spent one semester at Humana insurance company a few semesters back.") Also, you didn't even mention that is where you met your dear friend Carrie :(

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Carrie,

yeah, its hard not to think that way. i have often wondered if i would ever refer to fall or spring "not as a semester". i have been in school way too long :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home