Monday, May 23, 2005

Is it a crime to want to look good in a swimsuit?

Three weeks and two days before I get on board a fast plane, and head to Lakeland Florida. Where I plan on finally relaxing for a few days, catching some rays on the beach, and actually reading for pleasure for a change.

I think I mentioned this in a previous entry, but this trip to Florida will be like the first vacation that I have had in 7 or 8 years...furthermore, I am so excited to actually get to spend some quality time with my sweet friend Jules who lives hundreds of miles away now (see picture on previous post).

In my quest to have a healthy/hot bod, I have had many ups and downs...literally. This past weekend was probably one of the worst "falls off the wagon" that I have experienced. Friday, I had a #2 (no onions) at McDonalds, followed up by a "Watchamacallit" (one of, if not the, best candy bars ever made...I got the big one no less) on my way out of town, Saturday wasnt bad, but I had like five chocolate chip muffins throughout the day (thanks to my friend's mom, who is one of the best hostesses in the world), then Sunday I had a #1 at Wendy's with cheese (biggie sized of course), followed up with a butterfinger crisp and a 100 grand (another candy bar masterpiece) on the way home. When I fall, I do it right :)...there is no need in counting calories when you lose track around 2,000. And of course, even though I planned on exercising while there, my gym shorts never came out of the suitcase.

All of that to say, that it is now crunch time (pun intended)...Starting today, I am bound and determined to "look good" before I go to Florida. No unhealthy thing shall pass my lips :).

With this health renaissance, I have two questions that have begun to float around in my brain...

First, even though health is a byproduct of exercise...and of course where my main focus should be, I admittedly have to fight the pride associated with the other byproduct, which is simply looking more attractive. I was always a "fat" kid, and I have never been so focused on my health as I am at this phase in my life...the natural byproduct of looking better in my clothes began last year, and has carried on into this summer of course.

So my first question is what does it mean to "look good"? Looking good is relative. Different people find different qualities attractive. So does it really matter how I think I look in my swimsuit?

The next question is, with my obsessive qualities, is it even possible for me to ever "look good" enough to satisfy my own goals and desires?

If I keep a right attitude about it all, and have health as my ultimate desire, I can strive for healthiness as a lifestyle for the rest of my life, but along with that, I will continue to incur the other byproduct as well...How do you keep from focusing on the outward appearance while continuing to do the things that are right for your body (eating healthy/exercising)?

Ultimately I really have one question I guess...At what point do I cross that line from a "healthy" desire to a "unhealthy" disorder?

I have more thoughts on this, but feel free to share yours...

5 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I wrestle with this as well. It's a fine line. It's great to want to be healthy and look good. The two go hand in hand. As you get fitter, you look better, and this boosts your confidence. This can't be a bad thing. But if you become compulsive about exercise and dieting so that it interferes with other life activities or becomes unhealthy, that's a problem. That's why, for me, focusing on triathlon helped a lot. I could focus on function instead of image (and I still got to look good). It forced me to eat enough to fuel my body and take rest days to let my body heal. This is a very good issue, by the way.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Thanks, the topic actually manifested itself, if you didnt figure out, from a comment that you made.

I actually have probably fallen on both sides of the thin line at different times over this past year.

The thing that sparked all of this in the first place was actually a break up that I had at the beginning of last may...i got dumped :). i initially started swimming again to get my mind off of that, and (in a very unhealthy pridelike fashion) look good when she got back after the summer :).

After she came back, and I got the initial shocked look on her face, I continued with it...mainly because I felt better. not only because of my health, but I felt like I had a better self image.

With the obsessive qualities, I find my self at a constant struggle with the "thin line". That is part of the reason that I too started looking at triathlons to begin with...to have that goal, without worrying about my looks. a healthy goal to focus on to keep my mind off how it effected my appearance.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Erin Nicole said...

an obsession is never a good thing...so i think that's a good indication of when you've crossed the line--when all you can think about is working out/what you eat/losing weight, etc. that is the unhealthy part--the mental addiction. the physical stuff just follows along.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

i agree with you erin...i have done quite a bit of pondering on the subject for the past year or so...

typically when i find that i am crossing that line, i need to do a reality check. that is kind of where i have been the past couple of weeks.

i think the biggest part, from a christian perspective, is that i have not been able to be consistent with my quiet times lately.

before my shoulder injury, i would get up every morning at 5:00 and have a quiet time (prayer or spending time in the word) before i went to swim...since that injury i have not been able to swim and consequently my schedule has been a little off. i havent been able to swim, so i have been running in the afternoons instead (i was getting up at like 6:00 for the first week, but that had sense stopped...barely making it to work by 8:30 lol). just this week i have started getting up in the mornings again.

another thing that i have found, you may have already read this, focussing on others needs really helps me take the focus off of my working out, watching what i eat, and losing weight.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I think you're right. I really enjoy helping the bunnies. They love me no matter what. It doesn't matter what I look like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home