Friday, May 20, 2005

A Cleaning High!

Well, I am going out of town again this weekend (I think it is the third or fourth weekend in the past six weeks ...second in a row...fifth if you count the weekend I house sat, and I am out of town next weekend as well). I feel like I havent had a day to just hang out at home in like a year.

The main problem with going out of town on the weekends is that is when I mainly clean my apartment and do laundry. My week, as a whole, is pretty packed from the beginning to end, and on the weekends (now that my Saturday class is over) all that I typically have is church and exercise (unless I am out of town :)).

Being out of town so much lately has allowed my apartment to get unbearably messy, and my laundry to pile up. Yesterday it was driving me so crazy that I actually got up at 5:00 this morning, just to do all my laundry and clean my apartment before I came to work.

My question to all is do you experience the "cleaning high"? I guess for me it would be more like a "post-cleaning high". The moment right after your apartment has everything in its place, and every bit of laundry that you own is clean, and the universe is right again :).

I even go a step further...(when my apartment is messy it effects me in so many ways...both physically and mentally). During my "cleaning high" I feel like the tension in my shoulders is released at that moment, and I can breathe easy again. I also feel like I can think clearly again, and process my thoughts in a more orderly fashion (I cannot study at all if there is clutter around my place).

This morning I have been coming down from my cleaning high as I have transitioned into working time...

5 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I totally get cleaning high. We're so much alike in that way! I feel so relaxed and energized at the same time. I like to walk around and look at everything. When I wake up the next day, I feel refreshed and ready to take on the world. I don't really feel I can get on with the day when the house is dirty. B.t.w., the house is scheduled for a major cleaning, which has been put off all week b/c of lab. I can't wait to do it. I wish I could take off and go home early to clean. We need to spruce it up so we can video tape it for the realtor this weekend. (More things to cross off the list! Double high!)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Rachel,
yeah the "waking up in the morning with a clean house" thing rocks!! there is no feeling like being able to walk through my room, as i go to turn off the alarm, without worrying about walking around clothes or gym bags, etc...

from the pictures you posted, at least it looks like it is well organized, and ready for the actual cleaning part...also, btw, i dont think you are going to have any trouble at all selling it...i will say it again, your house is great.

and the list thing...definitely another high...finishing a list completely is the best feeling.

maygrrl,
i know...i have had 27 roommates since i started college (not at the same time :)...i lived in a house for about four years during undergrad, and there was a lot of turnover)...and i have lived with all types of personalities. i was the one that did most of the cleaning in the house, and it was mostly cleaning up after my roommates...it drove me crazy. that is why i have lived alone since i have been in louisville. my next "roommate" will more than likely be whomever I marry.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the compliment on the house! I hope it sells well.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

I guess I'm what you would call a "maintenance" cleaner. Messes bug me so much so that I "clean along the way" so I avoid having the horrid mess over my head. The greatest example is my car. It's not spotless on the inside, but no garbage stays in there! Now, with laundry, if I can't get that done ont he weekends, it straggles through the week, and when I'm finally done it's like a house of cards I don't want to fall...I want to enjoy the moment a little while longer. I believe with all the laundry I do, I'm either the cleanest or the dirtiest person I know. :)

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

i try to pick up along the way, but most of my week i am ready to crash by the time that i finally make it home. this leaves me dishes and unsorted mail to go through at a later time.

The only, and i do mean only, nice thing about living in an apartment without washer/dryer hookups is that it forces me to get it all done at one time...straggling it out through a week makes no sense at all since there are three washers and i have to go to the room anyway.

also, forcing myself to do laundry once a week keeps me at right around three loads anyway, so i get it all done in one shot...one wash cycle and one drying cycle for the whole week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home