Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Technology...a blessing and a curse!

I work in an IT world with IT things and IT minded people. Over the past year, as I have been introduced to that world more and more, I have been sucked into it...now I very much enjoy checking out the new technology stuff that comes out (even though a lot of it I may never understand or need or want).

Over the weekend there was a power surge in my building. Unfortunately, though I was mistaken in my thinking, the power strip that my computer was plugged into was nothing more than just that...a power strip. It was not a surge protector. Therefore, I came into my office Monday morning to a computer with no power supply...it was fried. (all of which was caused by a squirrel on a power line by the way...that is the second squirrel in the past six months that has met his fate on a power line connected to our building and caused headaches for us)

All of the computers that are in our office are being used. Therefore, I have spent most of yesterday (after I spent a lot of the morning on the phone with the computer company) and all of today using a foreign computer in a conference room across from our office.

What have I learned from this?

1. I wish I had my own office all of the time lol...I have been in here by myself, and not that I goof off all day, but I don't feel like I am being baby sat now. Furthermore, I have a window to gaze out of in here (as I watch a rabbit playing in the rain...running in circles between two bushes) lol.

2. I miss the fact that all of the websites I need are just a click away in my favorites dropdown box on my own computer. In here, I have been forced to type in all of the web addresses and/or email addresses, and that has definitely slowed me down some.

3. I miss knowing where everything is on my own computer. I have all that I need and use on a regular basis saved on the desktop of my own computer. If it is not there, it is very easily accessible for me to find. In here, even though I have access to our shared drive, the shared drive itself is sort of a challenge to get to.

4. I have no access to old emails. All of the emails I have are saved in Micro. Outlook on my hard drive.

5. I feel out of place away from my seat, away from my desk, away from my computer and away from my desk phone.

Bottom line: My work has been choppy at best the last couple of days, and I blame a lot of that on the fact that I am using a computer that is foreign to me. I have often thought about how dependent we are on the technology that we own (not that I own my work computer, but I use it 40 hours or more in a week...so I have a personal attachment to it).

Here is another example...If I needed to call someone, and I did not have my cell phone with me, I would not know how to get in touch with them. In most cases, when I get a number from someone now, I never even look at the actual numbers anymore even as I type them in. Sometimes, I trust technology so much that I just have them call my phone and I save the number that appears on my screen. If it is in my phone I have it.

Are there any technology things in your life that would cause your world to become bumpy at best, or maybe even shut down for a while, if you did not have access to them????

3 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said...

Being another tech geek, any of the things I use regularly I would have a hard time adjusting living without. Communication is at an all-time level with email and IM - our company uses it for work.

And, I discovered a cool tool from a co-worker yesterday...JRuler Pro that allows me to have a Java-based ruler on my screen so I can measure things (in inches or pixels) as I do design work. That discovery has made my month!

Told ya I was a geek. ;)

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

It's amazing how dependent we are on computers and technology. In such a short time too. I definitely take it for granted. I do everything on-line: shop for everything from bunny hay, swim goggles, dresses, gifts, to vacuum bags. I pay parking tickets, set up utilities, balance my checkbook, rent movies, and pay bill on-line. I buy movie tickets, communicate with people and set up appts. I hate talking on the phone so sometimes, it's easier to get a hold of me via the computer.
We lost power last night. It was hard this morning. We had to use our cell (nice piece of technology), and, luckily, our alarm clock is battery-powered. But no washing dishes, clothes, or a.c. (biggest thing I missed). No opening the refrigerator or freezer. Not being able to close the garage door.

Technology I would miss most:
computer/internet
car
a.c.
microwave

Plug me in!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Kevin Yates said...

Rose,

kudos for finding the ruler. i am sure that makes the work a little easier...and i am glad it made your day.

the IM/email thing is very cool. with erica being half way around the world all of this time, it was great to be able to send a free text message from my phone and communicate to her on her computer at any time of the day...of course email is great for that communication too.

Rach,

I have started doing more stuff online as well this past year...i pay bills, check balances, buy stuff (love ebay).

that stinks about your electricity...at least it came back on pretty quickly (i read your blog entry). i have to admit, i have enjoyed some power outages to some degree in the past though. they can be fun depending upon who you are with.

i think the thing i would miss most of all is my phone. it is the doorway to most all of the communication that i have. i do not have a land line, and i dont have the internet at home...i am also a talker. so even though i appreciate and use email all of the time, i dont mind a phone call...i have left it at home some mornings, and actually taken time from work to go home and get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home